The Civil Engineering Contractors Association is the representative body for companies who work day-to-day to deliver, upgrade, and maintain the country’s infrastructure. With more than 300 members split across eight regions, CECA represents firms who together carry out an estimated 70-80 per cent of all civil engineering activity in the UK, in the key sectors of transport, energy, communications, waste and water. Our members are committed to providing an excellent outcome for clients, as well as achieving the highest industry standards
The CECA Highways Maintenance Group
Who we are
The CECA Highways Maintenance Group brings together CECA members working as Tier 1, 2 and 3 contractors with an interest in highways maintenance. The Group’s role is to identify and suggest improvements to the way that highways maintenance is performed across the UK, benefitting our clients, our members and the wider public.
The CECA Highways Maintenance Group:
- Provides visibility and clarity on contracts coming to market in strategic and local roads in England and Wales.
- Drives continuous innovation and efficiencies in highways maintenance
- Manages the Highway Term Maintenance Associations (HTMA’s) legacy work.
- Disseminates information from the Highways Sector Council and from clients and customers.
Our current member priorities are:
- Health, Safety and Wellbeing
- Achieving Carbon net zero
- Improving workload visibility
- Enhancing productivity across the sector
- Procuring and delivering collaboratively
How we operate
We operate through a combination of:
- Speaker-led meetings with industry experts and groups
- Engagement meetings with local and national highway authority Clients
- Regular Group meetings to discuss industry imperatives
- Member-led Focus Teams driving industry change in each one of our five priority areas
The CECA Highway Maintenance Group works in parallel with, and compliments, other sector bodies including the Highways Sector Council, the CIHT, the Highways Alliance, ADEPT, and the Local Council Roads Innovation Group (LCRIG). We are building upon the work of the HTMA to drive improvements in highways maintenance in England and Wales.
CECA has inherited some of the HTMA’s legacy assets and has a role in publishing and updating them through our Focus Teams.
The CECA Highway Maintenance Group is open to all CECA Members operating in the UK highway maintenance sector.
The 5 Focus Teams below are all actively seeking new Members who have a passion in one of our priority areas – this is your opportunity to drive real change and improvement in the sector.
If you would like more information or to join the Group and/or a Focus Team, contact
CECA Director of External Affairs – Marie-Claude Hemming
Or, Highway Maintenance Group Chair – Simon White
How to join CECA
If your company is a civil engineering contractor working in England, Scotland, or Wales, you are eligible to join CECA. Membership queries are handled by our regional offices in England, which are CECA Southern, South West, Midlands, Yorkshire & the Humber, North East, and North West, and by our offices in the devolved nations of Scotland and Wales. Contact details for each office are available here – please e-mail or call so we can discuss how membership of CECA can benefit your business.