Civils contractors have published a check list of actions the Government must take to support immediate economic growth.
The Civil Engineering Contractors Association (CECA) has set out its stall in its submission to the Government’s Spending Review, which identifies key actions to boost the economy, become greener, and drive the Government’s ‘levelling up’ agenda.
Key priorities include:
- Maintain infrastructure investment levels of at least 1.2 per cent of GDP;
- Publish an infrastructure pipeline so industry can prepare for delivery;
- Put carbon reduction at the heart of procurement;
- Support transport operators to recover passenger travel; and
- Make construction careers visible and attractive.
Commenting, CECA Director of External Affairs Marie-Claude Hemming said: “Our priorities support the UK Government’s ambition to ‘build back better’ and ‘level-up’ the economy.
“Each day, businesses and communities across the UK rely on good quality infrastructure.
“While the UK Government has put infrastructure at the heart of its recovery plans, there are further steps that must be taken now to ensure that the UK’s recovery is secured for the long term.
“We call on Government to implement these five priorities as to enable our members to optimise project delivery, create jobs, and continue to deliver the world class infrastructure we so desperately need.”
< ENDS >