CECA NW Commercial & Legal Breakfast seminars, with Geraldine Fleming of Driver Trett
These seminars are short duration, and provide a general introduction to commercial and legal matters that members have requested. They are eligible for CPD, and certificates can be provided upon request.
They are free to attend, but a charge will be made if CECA NW is not notified in advance of non-attendance.
Tues 4 Feb – Pitfalls for contractors 1 – Park Royal Hotel, Stretton, Warrington
- Where a Main Contractor’s order form includes the words “unless otherwise agreed the subcontractor is deemed to have accepted these conditions which shall apply to the exclusion of any conditions which appear on the Acceptance Form, Delivery Form or other document or letter emanating from the subcontractor”, will the conditions in the Main Contractor’s order take precedence over any conflicting conditions referred to in the subcontractor’s acceptance?
- If a Contractor receives a letter of intent and then commences work, what are the risks if the project is abandoned before a contract is signed. Is the Contractor guaranteed payment?
- Can a Main Contractor deduct liquidated damages from a Subcontractor who finishes late and delays completion of the whole project even if the damages are completely out of proportion to the subcontract value?
- If an unrealistically low or high rate is included in the Contract, will the Contractor be held to the rate if the quantities substantially increase or should the rate be amended?
- Where a cheque which is less than the amount claimed is sent to a Contractor with an accompanying letter to effect that the cheque is sent in full and final settlement, does the cashing of the cheque indicate a binding acceptance or can the Contractor, having cashed the cheque, commence proceedings to recover the balance?
To book your places: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ceca-nw-seminar-contractual-pitfalls-1-tickets-90601253789